Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Dream Threads


It's my mind that keeps me up at night
Wandering in and out of thoughts
Dreaming with my eyes open
Trying to go to sleep
fearful of the creatures in the night
who's out there?
are they trying to get a message to me?
What are those sounds outside my door?
The world is a dark and mysterious place 
full of things yet to be discovered 
creatures of the night
terrorizing and tormenting
is it all in my head?
am I going crazy?
With a creek of the door and a showdow emerging from the hallway
I slide under my blankets
protecting myself from the scary creature in my bed room
Will it find me?
Will I make it through the night?
Shuffling around the room 
The blankets are slowing removed from my face
Beady black eyes are pouring into my soul
Snake like fingers curl up and around arm
slithering scaly skin caressing my bare skin
What is it going to do to me?
Will it hurt me?
It sneakily slides off my bed
out of my room
and back into the darkness like it never emerged
And I realized I'm no longer alone

1 comment:

  1. I love all the alliteration and sensory detail in the lines about the snake-like fingers slithering in...And also the truth, both scary and beautiful, in the lines:

    "The world is a dark and mysterious place
    full of things yet to be discovered."

    ReplyDelete